me & the kids.

me & the kids.
l o v e

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

New Bikes & some random thoughts on the ride home...

So today was the day our bikes came in! Malaki got his first bicycle complete with training wheels. His bike is red, blue, and yellow and he and his Dad picked it out on the internet together. Prior to this bike he had only ridden a tricycle which allowed one to pedal backwards or forwards, so when Malaki found this bike could only go forwards he was sure it was broken and had Daddy bust out his tool set. After a little tinkering around he decided that his bike was ok. When Floyd ordered Malaki’s bike he also decided to secretly order one for me as well. (About 6 months ago my beloved beach cruiser was stolen and I have been without a bike since then.) The bike is a very light green, cream, and brown and I really like it! He also got me a new and better lock and a basket to put on front! Floyd thought I was crazy, but I road it home from the store….which is just about 4 ½ miles, but not the most normal area to ride your bike….oh well, I did it & I loved it. The bike ride was like my runs and I started on a string of thoughts stemmed from something an old friend wrote on his FB status. A few weeks back a friend of mine wrote something along these lines, “Look at your own sin with the same disgust you look at others sins.” Well ok, when I first read this I thought well of course I do. I was thinking more simply; for example, I am disgusted by someone stealing and I would be just as disgusted if I myself stole something. Then I thought deeper because obviously there had to be more by this statement….….I believe that it was hinting towards looking at all sins as being equal and not looking down on those who commit sins that are more obvious or disgusting to you then perhaps the sins you yourself commit. I have been taught and have believed for years that all sins are equal and as some say “a sin is a sin is a sin.” Even though I had been taught this and claimed to believe it my own thoughts were not following this. I started to realize that there are still some sins that others committed that I was holding against them. I need to realize that I am a sinner just like everyone else and I would hate for others to hold my sins against me because it was “obvious” or “disgusting” to them. I also began to think about how our culture and society molds our minds and how we feel about different sins. As a Christian I may be “different” than society as a whole, but society is still continually affecting the way I look at things whether I like it or not. The next time I find myself in the seat of judging someone else for their sins I plan to remind myself of what an old friend said and look at my own sin with the same disgust that I am looking at theirs. I believe this will lead me towards fixing my own sins and not focusing on others. I hope that makes at least a little bit of sense to at least one person who reads this.
I think I better go figure out how to hook up my basket on my new ride! Woop woop! :o) Yup, that's right, just picture that bad boy up above with a basket! I'm pretty gangster.
May the grace of the Lord Jesus be with you. My love to all of you in Christ Jesus.

2 comments:

  1. What a good reminder for me this morning Jod.....I often get caught up in the same thing. Unfortunately, I think that growing up in a Christian pastors home (like both of us) has this weird subconscious way of affecting us in that area. ugh. no fun. I appreciate your words...love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i got a new bike too! two broken bikes that i got for free + one dad & a wrench = 1 new bike for me!!! - Jenalee

    ReplyDelete